Saturday, September 2, 2017

Book of Fife 1:3 - Take Time to Appreciate Art

A few years ago at the Utah State Fair, I came across a booth called Uinta Rock that sold items made of rock called honey onyx. There was a lamp on one of their shelves in the corner that drew me in and I purchased it. Each lamp is unique because each rock is unique, as one of my friends put it, it's like each one has a soul. I loved the lamp so much that I purchased 2 more last year at the fair and gave them as gifts. I spent a good chunk of time chatting with one of the owners named Joe. He was passionate about the products he made and we had a beautiful talk about the lamps and different types of rock. He told me to shoot him an email anytime if I wanted more lamps.

Last week, I shot Joe an email to ask him if he had a certain kind of lamp available, but he never responded. As I was going to be driving close to Tabiona, UT where they are made, I decided to call the number on the website to see if I could stop by the shop and browse their inventory. When I got to the shop and was talking to a guy named Jim, I asked him about Joe and he told me that Joe passed away from cancer earlier this year. It hit me like a ton of bricks. It suddenly made sense why he never responded to my email and I felt a crushing sadness realizing he was gone as well as a deep sense of appreciation for the art he had created with the rock.

Visiting the shop in rural Tabiona was a beautiful experience as I came to realize that artisans like this are becoming a thing of the past. Jim spent a good hour showing me all the lamps my heart could desire, cutting one of them down for me and explaining the process of making the lamps. Sure, making income from their products is important for these artists, but they have a passion that is a labor of love beyond money. I made some purchases that I'm sure I will most likely give as gifts at some point in time, but visiting the shop was an experience that I will remember and cherish and it brings a significance to these beautiful rocks that I can appreciate every time I use them.

If you find yourself at the Utah State Fair this year, visit the Uinta Rock booth and meet Jim and see if anything speaks to you. No, they didn't sponsor me to write this or anything, I just wanted to share because it brought me joy.










0 comments:

Post a Comment